[OT] Off-topic posts

Sven Anderson sven at anderson.de
Thu Aug 21 13:27:53 UTC 2008

Am 21.08.2008 um 15:13 schrieb phobos at rootme.org:

> On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 12:12:32PM +0200, sven at anderson.de wrote
> 0.6K bytes in 22 lines about:
> : Tor-related are marked with [OT] in the subject. I think this is the
> : least we can do for those who are just interested in the Tor
> stuff, so
> : they can filter/skip those mails.
>
> I vote for just kicking people off the list.  While this may feed into
> their fascism/censorship fantasies, dropping the signal to noise ratio
> doesn't help anyone search the archives nor get their questions
> answered.

That is not exclusive, the owners of the list are still free to do
that, but it will be difficult to make a clean cut. You can never
avoid OT posts, and I wouldn't say they have no value in general. I
prefer some (few) of these discussions happening off-topic than not
happening at all.

I bet it's easier to convince people to use a [OT] tag than to
convince them not to post OT-mails at all, but prove me wrong.

Sven

--
http://sven.anderson.de    "Believe those who are seeking the truth.
tel:    +49-551-9969285     Doubt those who find it."