Lost gmail mails .. evil tor exit node?

macintoshzoom macintoshzoom at lavabit.com
Mon Aug 18 14:20:09 UTC 2008

Hi all tor gurus,

 From some time ago I am losing some gmail mails (sent or probably also
when receiving, via socksified Thunderbird (delete mesasges from
server), ssl to pop.gmail.com and smtp.gmail.com) .

I'm testing this on OpenBSD 4.4 -current, tor v0.2.1.1-alpha (r15195),
dsocks and Thunderbird 2.0.0.16.

That's intriguing me.

I have set my tor client torrc enabling  AllowInvalidNodes
entry,middle,introduction,rendezvous, as I think this is the way we have
to go for a global tor network privacy/security, as I don't trust (till
some one convinces me otherwise) the  "valid nodes" validators, that may
be more easily compromised by big brother-s. (As adversary, I prefer a
wild mix of tor exit nodes (sane or compromised mix ones) than only
"valid" exit nodes, for sure compromised by big-bro)

Of course, non valid exit nodes may be bad-boys, I know, but as I am on
ssl to gmail, it should be ok?

Maybe it's only a gmail spam-etc filtering and destroying system for
some specific (chinese?) tor exit chains, as I think gmail (google) is
knees-down to china gov (and others) and favors china's orwellian
censorship.

BUT, I have read somewhere that bad exit nodes can revert your call to
ssl gmail to plain http gmail after thet first gmail ssl login (gmail
seems to allow this) ...

On Firefox3, there is an addons (Better Gmail2) that "forces" full ssl
connection to gmail, so this means that gmail, after its first ssl
login, can eventually allow non-ssl gmail browsing. (It happened to me
some times before I installed this extension on FF3).

Does any of you has similar suspicious behaviors or more information
about this?

Any light on this is welcome!

Thanks!

Mac.