Meaning of HUP signal and question about directory fetching

hgiuh ghj h106262 at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 18 10:31:23 UTC 2008

Hello !

About the signals sent by Tor-Control-Port, according to the manual:
 ::RELOAD    -- Reload: reload config items, refetch directory. (like HUP)

I wonder what's the exact meaning of HUP signal, is it exactly the same as RELOAD signal or there is a little difference ? Refetch directory means retrieving an updated directory from the main servers ?

About directory fetching:
I have another question about the Tor client's directory fetching.
When Tor starts, it retrieves a directory from Tor servers right ? Once loaded, when will the Tor client retrieve an updated directory ? On next start or after 2 hours for example ?

Best Regards,
David Lingus