The pirate bay, torrent and TOR

Noiano noiano at lavabit.com
Fri Aug 15 18:18:11 UTC 2008

Hello everybody,
as you may know The Pirate Bay is being blocked in Italy for legal
issues. It's just a matter of time before all connection to all the TPB
servers will be blocked. Many people are suggesting to use tor+vidalia
in order to bypass the block. It's a good suggestion but, IMHO, people
care very little about just surfing thepiratebay.org. They want to
access the tracker and download ;-) .
Since I do not know the torrent protocol I wander: is it possible to use
tor as a "proxy" to access the tracker and get the data connections not
passing through tor? This would be possible if the request a client
makes to a tracker contains the non-tor ip of the client, I guess.

Any idea is welcome.

Noiano (from italy :-P  )