Private Tor Network for Testing

Ringo Kamens 2600denver at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 03:23:18 UTC 2008

Dear Torizens,
I am doing a research project on mesh networking, where I will be using Tor
as the application layer to route data and ad-hoc networking for the
physical layer. I am trying to set up Tor on a private lan, but I've run
into some problems. I set the torrc to allow private connections, but when
the Tor server tries to resolve its IP address, it sees that it only has a
local address (192.168.*) and refuses to load. Is there some way to get
around this or disable this check? I am using the vidalia bundle on OSX and
then "just plain Tor" on Ubuntu x64. Any help is appreciated. Also, if
you've sucessfully run Tor over a private network or have some experience in
it, any related advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Comrade Ringo Kamens