tor path length

skaoth skaoth skaoth at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 24 20:01:38 UTC 2008

So if I wanted to modfiy a client proxy (assume this is modifed to allow 1 hop) to do one hop, will the other
relays (not modified) in my private network reject the connection?> Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 20:34:08 -0400> From: arma at mit.edu> To: or-talk at freehaven.net> Subject: Re: tor path length> > On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 05:17:14PM -0700, skaoth skaoth wrote:> > I've setup a private Tor network to do some testing on. I'm trying > > to find out how to change the default path length to a client specified > > value. I'm interested in both values less and greater than the default.> [...]> > Is this hardcoded into the executable? Will I have to modify the source> > to allow this?> > It's hard-coded. Part of the intuition for that is described here:> > https://wiki.torproject.org/noreply/TheOnionRouter/TorFAQ#VariablePathLength> > You can change it in the code -- look at the desired_path_len element.> > We periodically hear from users who think Tor is great but it's too slow,> and they don't want that stupid anonymity stuff anyway, and if they> could just use it as a set of single-hop proxies they'd be happy.> > Note that most Tor relays won't let you do one-hop paths, and that's a> security feature for the relay: to quote from the above FAQ entry,> "Currently there is no reason to suspect that investigating a single> relay will yield user-destination pairs, but if many people are using> only a single hop, we make it more likely that attackers will seize or> break into relays in hopes of tracing users."> > Hope that helps,> --Roger>