getting more exit nodes

Sebastian Hahn hahn.seb at web.de
Sun Apr 20 12:47:34 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Apr 20, 2008, at 1:32 PM, Alexander Bernauer wrote:
> [snip]
> The basic idea is to develop a browser plugin which while active turns
> the computer into both an Tor client and a Tor exit node. The target
> group is a Windows XP or Vista user with almost no technical skills
> but
> fear of pop-ups asking strange things. We are experienced in providing
> and promoting security software to them [2] and we beliefe that this
> solution will be accepted and widely used.

I don't think a browser plugin is a good choice for an application
that can act as a Tor exit node. Please note how long it takes for a
Tor node to be used by clients, and how often Users close their
browsers. I think this will produce a huge amount of overhead when
such nodes are sending their descriptors and others will try to use
them a few hours later, when they have been shut down again.

There is another reason why I think a browser plugin is ill suited: In
my opinion, users want browser plugins for a specific purpose, for
example play a movie or block Flash. They don't want a plugin that
does arbitrary things they don't quite understand.

If you find a good solution for how to make use of Tor relays behind
restrictive firewalls, that'd be most awesome, but I think such an
approach should be included in the Tor software.

Note that currently, any relay must be able to connect to any other
relay.

Sebastian