A Question to people from UK

Dave Page grimoire at cultofperf.org.uk
Fri Apr 18 13:19:20 UTC 2008

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 03:11:52PM +0200, Hans Schnehl wrote:

> I was told in the UK you are obliged to deliver your private gpg/pgp
> keys to the authorities as soon as you use one of these programs for
> yourself.

[snip]

> I hope this is a hoax, but just for informational reasons it would be nice if
> someone with the appropriate knowledge could clarify this.

This isn't anything I'm aware of in UK law, and I'm pretty sure I would
have heard about it if it were.

The Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act (RIPA) 2000 details the
powers the police have to demand decrypts and keys. You can read more
about it at
http://security.homeoffice.gov.uk/ripa/publication-search/ripa-cop/electronic-information

Dave
--