monitoring tor-traffic

Jonathan Addington madjon at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 19:55:46 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 2:30 PM, sigi <dugongs at gmx.de> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 04:54:06PM -0500, Jonathan Addington wrote:

> > > It's Debian etch running on a vserver
> >
> > If Tor is running as its own user (as is generally encouraged) you can
> > run "lsof -iTCP|grep tor-user" (which would remove "evince" above, or
> > apache, vnc, or any other program that uses tcp). "lsof -iTCP|grep
> > tor-user|wc -l" will give you an actually count, which will also
> > include outgoing connections, which will increase the number if you
> > are running an exit server. To narrow things down more you could run
> > "lsof -iTCP|grep tor-user|grep 9001|wc -l" where 9001 is whatever port
> > Tor actually takes connections on, which should give you a good idea
> > of the number of nodes you are connected to.
>
> As I'm running only a bridge-relay now,, is it ok that your suggestions
> only show three tor-connections?
>
> # lsof -iTCP|grep debian-tor|grep 9001|wc -l
> 3
>
> In comparison to my middleman before, it's like nothing...
>
> Thanks a lot Jonathan, for your answers!
>
> sigi.

I only have a vague idea of what a bridge-relay is as opposed to a normal
relay. If you aren't an exit node (which seems to be the case, or ought to
be, for all bridge-relays) you can run

#l lsof -iTCP|grep debian-tor|wc -l

and see if it turns up more connections. Three seems like a small number to
me, but you'll probably have to wait for someone else to answer (consider
posting that as a question in a new thread.)

Glad I could be of some help, I am still figuring out the workings of Tor
myself.

-madjon

madjon at gmail.com