Tor and Thunderbird / Mail.app

Jay Goodman Tamboli jay at tamboli.cx
Sun Apr 13 17:33:40 UTC 2008

On Apr 13, 2008, at 12:47:23, Holmes Wilson wrote:

> Is IMAP through SOCKS?  I'm just using Privoxy, and not using a
> SOCKS proxy.  I guess that's the problem?
>
> Is SOCKS a solution?  I saw there was some issue about it having
> identifying header information.

Privoxy is an HTTP proxy that hands off HTTP requests to Tor via
SOCKS. Privoxy also does some header-scrubbing and other stuff to help
protect privacy.

You can use Tor directly as a SOCKS proxy, but then the application
(like Mail or Safari) is responsible for not leaking stuff in headers.
There's nothing comparable to Privoxy for IMAP, as far as I know, so
if you want to run IMAP over Tor, you have to set your computer to use
Tor as a SOCKS proxy.

/jgt
--
http://tamboli.cx/