zero-knowledge protocols

Andrew tor at kleinhirn.org
Sat Apr 12 23:11:52 UTC 2008

CyberRax schrieb:
> Are abusers really such a big problem? I see projects
> like Wikileaks which show that TOR is put on use for
> good, but I've yet hear that a verified claim that TOR
> was used by some pedophile.
That I could give you by the dozens. Just read between the lines every
time a news service reports of another pedophile network being torn
apart - there's always some part suggesting there were at least some
people who were smart enough to hide their traces and therefore got
away. And it shouldn't surprise any one of us. Where there's
possibility, there will always be someone abusing it.

But I still believe the vast majority of tor users is using tor for
legitimate purposes (like those you cited - purposes tor was intented to
serve); therefore protecting their privacy as best as we can is to be
made a priority, even over preventing abuse of tor by allowing outside
control. As has been pointed out on this list before, it would be very
hard to draw a new line once the current has been crossed.
Plus, and that's something I've been wanting to point out for some time:
tor is only of very limited use to someone wishing to regularly transmit
more than just a few kilobytes, since it tends to be quite slow. So
while I still believe there are people abusing tor, I don't think
they're that many. Most internet users today have been spoiled into
prefering speed over security.

Regards
Andrew