Wikileaks and Tor (was Re: ESTABLISH_INTRO warns)

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Tue Sep 25 19:38:01 UTC 2007

On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 09:03:45PM +0200, Marco Bonetti wrote:
> right this morning I stumbled upon this site, while digging through
> torstatus page: http://www.wikileaks.org/
>
> http://www.wikileaks.org/wiki/Wikileaks:About has some interesting
> information, especially:
> http://www.wikileaks.org/wiki/Wikileaks:About#Have_you_made_any_modifications_to_Tor_to_ensure_security.3F_If_so.2C_what_are_they.3F
>
> what do you think?

We haven't heard from the Wikileaks people, nor have we reviewed their
supposed changes, if any. I would be happy to take a look at them if
they would like us to. From past experience with other random folks
on the Internet who either a) think they can make Tor better without
involving any of the Tor developers or designers, or b) think they can
make Tor better without telling anybody how they do it, they are very
likely to have made some critical mistakes.

See also http://archives.seul.org/or/talk/Jul-2007/msg00243.html

--Roger