Like to run TOR-Node

Scott Bennett bennett at cs.niu.edu
Fri Sep 14 18:28:45 UTC 2007

     On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 19:37:00 +0200 "TOR Admin (gpfTOR1)"
<tor-admin at berliner-journalisten.com> wrote:

>I tried to run a tor node on a Strato vserver 1 year ago.
>
>It did not work, because the max. connections were limited to 145
>TCP-connection IN and 145 TCP-connections OUT. A TOR server needs at
>least 1024 connections. See:
>
>http://wiki.noreply.org/noreply/TheOnionRouter/TorFAQ#head-f3a370dd3c42d82a180f3f1d070f94906f4eddea

     That is apparently long out of date.  I've been running tor in
server mode off and on over the past year and have never seen it use
more than 300-400 connections at once, and it was a rare situation
for the count to get even that high.  Usually the count of open
connections has been under 200, often under 100.  A hard limit of
290 connections might be a problem on the sort of high-bandwidth
server Ricky intends to run, but it seems unlikely that he would
need 1024.

>The ISP "1blu" offers a vserver, which may be used for a TOR node.
>I read a message about a running TOR node without any error on a 1blu
>vserver. It offers more traffic ;-)
>
>Viel Erfolg!

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG