Want a faster Tor? Upgrade, inform others

Kyle Williams kyle.kwilliams at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 02:16:29 UTC 2007

On 9/1/07, Mike Perry <mikeperry at fscked.org> wrote:

> For those of you who are not subscribed to or-announce and/or have
> friends who use Tor, the latest Tor stable should provide significant
> performance/capacity increase once most clients upgrade. According to
> my measurements with TorFlow, there should be roughly four times as
> much capacity once the network rebalances.
>
> In addition, many users should experience noticable improvement in
> performance just based on the fact that we are choosing guards
> in proportion to their bandwidth and expiring guards that were
> selected with the buggy uniform algorithm.
>
> Also, once the network is balanced, we can begin to investigate both
> reliability scanning options and Johannes Renner can finish his
> Master's Thesis on performance enhanced path selection. :)
>
> http://archives.seul.org/or/announce/Aug-2007/msg00001.html
>
> --
> Mike Perry
> Mad Computer Scientist
> fscked.org evil labs

Thank You Mike for your research and hard work on making Tor faster.  We
appreciate it.

I noticed the performance gain from the very first time I used the new
release, and continue experiencing faster connections.  I was able to
download a 30MB file the other night at a rate of 250KB/sec consistently
throughout the entire download.

We updated Tor in JanusVM and will be releasing a new version soon.

best regards,
Kyle Williams
http://www.janusvm.com