How can I know my IP address geted by the website?

Scott Bennett bennett at cs.niu.edu
Wed Sep 12 08:45:03 UTC 2007

     On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 23:55:28 -0700 coderman <coderman at gmail.com> wrote:

>On 9/11/07, LinDu <baidufantuan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Maybe Jeffery Statin's solution is a way that donnot need to request my
>> public IP from public services.
>> But how can i get the realtime connection information as vidalia does?
>
>you need to listen to asynchronous circuit and stream events.
>
>this will still give you incorrect information for over 100 exit nodes
>that exit traffic from a different IP address than the OR port listens
>on.
>
>what you want to do requires a check with an external service to
>correctly identify the public IP.  there is no other way around it...

     The above method is not guaranteed to give the correct result either.
It will only do so if one's tor client is routing all current connection
requests throught the same circuit.  Because a client may have several active,
non-expired circuits to choose from at any moment, the connection to the
external service may not go through the same exit, much less the same circuit,
as the connection for which LinDu is interested in knowing the exit IP
address.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG