exit policies (WAS: Re: Filtering traffic from your node)

Michael Holstein michael.holstein at csuohio.edu
Tue Sep 11 14:40:24 UTC 2007

> The only problem I have with the latter is that blocking beyond IP
> and/or port blocking is not handled by the directories.

Not only that, but the directory structure doesn't scale to those of us
that need large exit policies.

I ran a 10MB/sec exit node at my .edu for a while, and it was ultimately
the politics of people ripping off journal articles, accessible since we
have a /16 netblock and that's how the journal services differentiate an
"on-campus" versus "off-campus" user (yes, I know that's a bad idea, but
that's how they do it) that made me shut it down.

I have thousands of IPs I'd need to block .. and it's detrimental to TOR
to "fib" about what you'll exit (I tried lying via /etc/hosts, and later
nullrouting with ipfw .. BOTH were a BAD idea, but the only thing I
could think of).

How about this idea .. what if a TOR server could send a reply back to
the client (via the TOR network) that says "my local exit policy
prohibits that". It could be a HTTP status code, a TCP flag, anything ..
not as efficient as telling the client to not try in the first place,
but better than just breaking it without notifying.

(I mention the HTTP code because that would be easy to implement in a
proxy, and the TCP mangling because it'd be easy with NetFilter).

Performance-wise, you'd want to cache the list of "nodes/can't-do's" in
memory, since you wouldn't want that stuff written to disk (ever). That
might be the Achile's heel in my idea.

Cheers,

Michael Holstein CISSP GCIA
Cleveland State University