Filtering traffic from your node - for exit points

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Sep 11 07:01:55 UTC 2007

On Tue, Sep 11, 2007 at 08:20:38AM +0200, Martin Senftleben wrote:

> Agreed. It's impossible to filter out every bad bit, and it will
> always hit innocent people.
> I had the police in my house for much less than running an exit node,
> searching my PC for illegal material, which they didn't find of
> course - at least enough suspicion was there, totally unreasonable
> for every knowledgeable person, for a judge to order this
> investigation. They could have taken my PC and other stuff.
> I wonder what would happen if I would run an exit node... I don't want
> to take that risk. Well, I live in Germany, a country where the

I wouldn't run an exit node in Germany right now. At least in
Bavaria, or similiar law & order places. Try for a middleman.

> government is becoming paranoid and beginning to do exactly what
> George Orwell has foreseen almost 60 years ago.

Not just in Germany. It's a global trend.

> I don't know where this will end, but I am currently very afraid of
> running an exit node, and won't do it. I give some resources as relay
> node, that's all I can afford to do.

Sounds like a good idea, for time being.

> I would like to run an exit node, by the way. There just needs to be
> some legal clarity on whether and how I could be held responsible for
> what is going on there. I would even be willing to rent a vserver
> just for that purpose. But I can't evaluate the risk properly.

Don't do it. Not in Germany, and you're prepared to deal with
police searching your house and confiscating your hardware.
Run middleman.