Incognito Live CD using Polipo

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.jussieu.fr
Tue Oct 9 09:21:44 UTC 2007

> What about censoring ETag, Last-Modified and If-Modified-Since ? Those are
> used to send info to the client that will be send back to the server, hence
> something can be encoded there to identify the machine.

Don't censor ETag and Last-Modified under any circumstances.  Polipo
will survive an out-of-memory situation much more gracefully when
there is a strong validator.

> Keep in mind that there is no on-disk cache, so the live time of the
> ETag and Last-Modified data is "short", i.e. only during the user's
> session.

Nothing serious should break if you censor IMS and friends
(If-None-Match etc.), but it will slow you down quite a bit -- Polipo
will detect every server as broken, and do a lot of slow things to
compensate.  So I certainly don't recommend it.

                                        Juliusz