Advanced traffic shaping with iptables?

Marco Bonetti marco.bonetti at slackware.it
Mon Oct 1 07:49:45 UTC 2007

On Sun, September 30, 2007 23:50, Linus Lüssing wrote:
> Thanks a lot for spending some time to edit this script.
well, thanks :)
not an hard hack though: I've just deleted some lines and modified the
iptables marking rule :-P

> Can you tell me a programm with which I could monitor the bandwidth usage
> of tor only
I think that BandwidthRate and BandwidthBurst options are safe enough

You've to adapt the script limits to your own setup:
+ RATE_UP is maximum overall upload bandwidth, mine is 480kb out of 512kb
+ RATE_UP_TOR is minimum bw assigned to tor, I choose 160kb which should
be the minimum bw to mark your node "fast", IIRC
+ RATE_UP_TOR_CEIL, finally, is the maximum bw assigned to tor. As in
Perry's script I've assigned it the same value of RATE_UP

As I wrote before, my personal taste is not for traffic shapers but I
modify the script and tried it for a couple of days nevertheless. For what
I see looks like it works, although seems a bit aggressive to me, killing
tor bw very fast.

ciao

--
Marco Bonetti