Browser dos/don'ts ( was Re: Incognito Live CD using Polipo)

Robert Hogan robert at roberthogan.net
Mon Oct 15 20:41:08 UTC 2007

On Monday 15 October 2007 20:37:58 Kasimir Gabert wrote:

> > > But no-one should know you're in the UAE because you're using tor. Or
> > > have I missed your point?
> > >

> > On 10/15/07, Kasimir Gabert <kasimir.g at gmail.com> wrote:
> > People will know that you are in the UAE if you are browsing websites
> > that are only for people and used by people in the UAE.

Sure, in those situations spoofing won't really make much of a difference.
However, I would have thought choosing a generic 'tor locale' for your http
headers (be it US English or whatever) is safest in most circumstances. No
point in performing a bit of top-secret UAE intelligence gathering on the
Russian embassy website through a tor exit in Germany if your http header
says 'Hello, I'm actually from the UAE. Salaam Aleikum Comrade!'.

> Unfortunately, I top posted!  I am sorry, this is where my message
> should end up.  Reason:  Too hasty typing with GMail at a library.
>
> My most ernest apologies.

For shame! If everyone top-posted when would we ever get to use our precious
middle mouse buttons? Huh? Never! That's when! ;-)