peculiar 0.2.0.9-alpha behavior this a.m.

Scott Bennett bennett at cs.niu.edu
Thu Nov 1 11:46:11 UTC 2007

     On Thu, 1 Nov 2007 11:17:48 +0100 Fabian Keil
<freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de> wrote:
>Scott Bennett <bennett at cs.niu.edu> wrote:
>
>>      I should mention that I only use Vidalia when I run tor under WinXP,
>> which was not the case that produced the log messages.  I no longer run
>> tor in server mode under WinXP, only in client mode long enough to downlo=
>ad
>> updates to security software.  My tor server runs under FreeBSD 6.2-STABL=
>E.
>> I haven't succeeded in compiling Vidalia under FreeBSD, so I can't use it.
>
>Did you try to build it manually or did you use the port?

     I ran "portinstall -vP vidalia".  The port version is 0.0.11_1.  That
may be somewhat dated.  I haven't run portsnap since the freeze for X.org 7.2.
6.9 runs okay, and I didn't feel like subjecting myself to the kind of
quagmire that dozens of other people were reporting on -ports after 7.2 was
made the current version.  I'm still waiting for FreeBSD 6.3 to be released,
so I can run the upgrade to 6.3, which will supposedly take care of all the
X.org update stuff for me without all the pain.
     The ports system in FreeBSD always seems to be FreeBSD's Achilles's Heel;
i.e., it's very fragile and has broken on me more than once since moving to
6.x.  Even so, that has been an improvement over 5.x, where once it broke, it
stayed broken until I did a clean installation of 6.1.

>For FreeBSD 6 the port is reported to build on all architectures except spa=
>rc64:
>http://portsmon.freebsd.org/portoverview.py?category=3D&portname=3Dvidalia&=
>wildcard=3D
>
>The stats aren't updated for Vidalia 0.0.15 yet,
>but I'm not aware of any regressions.

     That will have to wait for 6.3-RELEASE on my system.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG