first hop to entry node, encrypted? sorry for trivial question

Florian Reitmeir florian at reitmeir.org
Tue Nov 6 22:49:42 UTC 2007

On Tue, 06 Nov 2007, Jefferson Iblis wrote:

> On Nov 6, 2007 8:55 AM, Florian Reitmeir <florian at reitmeir.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, 06 Nov 2007, Jefferson Iblis wrote:
> > > I've heard variously that Tor does encrypt my communications with my
> > > entry node, and also that it does not. Which is true?
> > Communication between:
> >         Your Host -> Tor Entry Node
> >         is encrypted
> >

> Thanks. Then I'm a little perplexed about why it's preferable to use a
> limited number of entry guards to avoid traffic analysis.
>
> If the connection between me and the entry guard is encrypted, and all
> I'm telling the entry guard is "please pass this encrypted stream to
> next specified tor server", what is the danger? Can the entry guard
> see my traffic, or do they just see another layer of encryption?

100 points.

the traffic is encrypted in layers, your tor client "picks" the tor server,
and encrypts the traffic. Every server can decrypt his layer..

the problems are:
	- what if someone owns many servers and can "see" the clients complete
	- unencrypted traffic could be sniffed/alterd by the exit node, both
		happens _at_ _this_ moment.
	- global observer, maybe somone is able to see the complete network, if, he
		is maybe able to make some cool attack.

--
Florian Reitmeir