20090101

Mike Perry mikeperry at fscked.org
Wed Nov 14 19:59:43 UTC 2007

Thus spake Smuggler (smuggler at kryptohippie.com):

> Olaf Selke wrote:
> > Eugen Leitl wrote:

> >> Oh, really? So ISPs, VoIP and mobile phone providers have nothing to fear,
> >> right?
> >
> > right!
>
> Wrong. I read the law. My lawyers read the law. It doesnt say: Store the
> data you have. It says: Store these specific datasets, no matter if you
> have them or not. The comments in the "Regierungsentwurf" are very telling.
> So, I am sorry. Tor nodes will have to log. ISPs will have to log.
> Everyone doing public telco services will have to log.

Oh, and I'm also wondering about redundancy. If I run a Tor node in
Germany is it the case that I have to log, AND my ISP has to log, AND
their colo provider has to log, AND the upstream ISP has to log, AND the
IX has to log all the same data? Is there any division of
responsibility? Or will there be like 5-10 copies of the same
connection data floating around everywhere?

--
Mike Perry
Mad Computer Scientist