a solution on the horizon to counteract detecting temperature through clock skew (on Tor Hidden Services)?

Wes Felter wesley at felter.org
Mon May 14 20:53:55 UTC 2007

Stephen wrote:
> Microprocessor resistant to power analysis:
>
> http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=7,205,794.PN.&OS=PN/7,205,794&RS=PN/7,205,794

It's not clear to me that this would help. Power analysis is not the
same thing as temperature-induced clock skew. AFAIK, temperature-induced
fluctuations would actually be worse in asynchronous logic, although I
think it would appear as performance fluctuation, not clock skew. Also,
mainstream processors will not adopt asynchronous logic within the next
decade, if ever.

Wes Felter - wesley at felter.org