suggestion for 'is my installation of tor working?' page

Robert Hogan robert at roberthogan.net
Sun May 13 12:02:33 UTC 2007

I've put together the sort of page I think new Tor users need to visit when
they get started on Tor for the first time. It's designed for TorK users, so
doesn' t attempt to check your IP address or anything like that. Since it's
very hard for a web service to know *all* Tor nodes at any given time, I
wonder if the Tor node check is more confusing than it is helpful.

http://healthcheck.anonymityanywhere.com

I've basically just filleted the jscript at showmyip.com/torstatus and made it
a little more user-friendly.

The catch with this sort of page is that a healthcheck website can only check
for plugins/java/cookies if jscript is enabled, so you never get a fully
green response. But at least it alerts users to the ways in which they can
leak anonymity.

As an aside, shouldn't the download page mention the perils of javascript?

--

Browse Anonymously Anywhere	- http://anonymityanywhere.com
TorK	- KDE Anonymity Manager	- http://tork.sf.net