Tor Server Behind Reactive Firewall

Alexander W. Janssen alexander.janssen at gmail.com
Sat May 19 00:00:29 UTC 2007

On 5/19/07, Rouslan Nabioullin <nabioullinr at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Will a reactive firewall affect a middle-node Tor server? I am planning to
> use a Smoothwall Linux firewall with the reactive mod
> (http://community.smoothwall.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8206).

Well, what does "reactive" mean? I just had a short look at it and
those p2p.rules files seems to be covering what's mentioned at
http://www.snort.org/vrt/docs/ruleset_changelogs/changes-2006-04-12.html.
Tor isn't explictly mentioned there. But who knows what kind of rules
were included in the meantime, so you should check that beforehand.

> I am concerned since when I ran a Tor server with Smoothwall, there were
> hundreds of entries logged in IDS (intrusion detection system).

What kind of messages? Would be nice if you could share them so that a
Tor-specific rulefile could be created (if someone not already did
that?)

> Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.

No. :-)

Cheers, Alex.

--
"I am tired of all this sort of thing called science here... We have spent
millions in that sort of thing for the last few years, and it is time it