Noobie Configuration Questions

Joe Knall joe.knall at gmx.net
Wed Mar 7 05:03:22 UTC 2007

On tuesday, 2007-03-06 23:52 Jason Edwards wrote:
> Hey guys...
>
> I have some noobie questions if anyone has time.
>
> When I visit showmyip.com it recognizes that I am using Tor ALTHOUGH
> the information regarding my internet browser, operating system and
> type of computer I use is still accurate. Am I doing something wrong
> or is that unavoidable?

The browser (and OS...) you're using depends on your browser:) Configure
something nice in firefox under address about:config ->
general.useragent.override. But care, "Mozilla Firefox Linux" works
fine, "Firefox Linux" for instance breaks some things (eg.
bugs.kde.org), a too strange useragent may make you trackable again,
it's also possible to leave it empty, play with it!

Privoxy provides an option "hide-user-agent", see
http://www.privoxy.org/user-manual/actions-file.html#HIDE-USER-AGENT

> If I should still use Privoxy, is there a configuration which provides
> the best anonymity? Should I adjust the predefined Actions (cautious,
> medium, advanced), try to find someone to give me the best custom
> configuration, or just leave it alone?

You should read the privoxy user-manual and adjust the predefined
actions and add your own... It's your world!

Most important seems an aware handling of cookies, js and so on.
Have a look at noscript https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/722/
and flashblock http://flashblock.mozdev.org/

Your other questions are out of my scope.

Joe