Noobie Configuration Questions

Jason Edwards jasonedwards3 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 22:52:30 UTC 2007

Hey guys...

I have some noobie questions if anyone has time.

When I visit showmyip.com it recognizes that I am using Tor ALTHOUGH the
information regarding my internet browser, operating system and type of
computer I use is still accurate. Am I doing something wrong or is that
unavoidable?
(I am using Firefox 2.0.0.2 with Torbutton 1.0.4 and Privoxy 3.0.6)

The article below makes it seem like I don't need privoxy. Is this
true.... recommended?

Torifying Firefox versions prior to 1.5 requires Privoxy in order to
stop the so-called "DNS leak" -- i.e., DNS requests could not be
directed to go through the SOCKS proxy like other protocols. Firefox 1.5
and later adds a proxy setting for DNS, thus eliminating the dependency
on Privoxy. The Torbutton home page indicates that the next release will
handle additional configurations.

http://business.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/04/26/218227&tid=19&tid=144&tid=130&tid=78
If I should still use Privoxy, is there a configuration which provides
the best anonymity? Should I adjust the predefined Actions (cautious,
medium, advanced), try to find someone to give me the best custom
configuration, or just leave it alone?
Finally, when I look at the Torbutton preferences in the add ons folder
of Firefox, the use Privoxy button is checked instead of Use custom
proxy settings. The greyed out fields for Use custom proxy settings are
as follows:
HTTP Proxy:    localhost    Port:8118
SSL Proxy:     localhost    Port:8118
FTP Proxy:                  Port:0
Gopher Proxy:               Port:0
SOCKS Host:     localhost   Port:8118

After I am connected and a page loads properly I go to
Firefox-preferences-advanced-network tab-connection the Manual proxy
configuration is selected with settings as followed:
HTTP Proxy:    localhost    Port:8118
(unchecked) Use this proxy server for all protocols
SSL Proxy:     localhost    Port:8118
FTP Proxy:                  Port:0
Gopher Proxy:               Port:0
SOCKS Host:     localhost   Port:8118
(checked) SOCKSv5
No Proxy for:    localhost, 127.0.0.1

Is the Privoxy button working properly? Are those the right settings? I
had read that although it will not work, I should fill in the FTP Proxy
with the same info as SSL Proxy or HTTP Proxy.  Is this correct? If so,
do I change that in the Torbutton preferences?

Thanks for the time and for putting up with my lack of knowledge on the
subject!

Jay