pop3 and smtp over ssl [was: ssh]

Mike Perry mikepery at fscked.org
Mon Mar 5 19:40:19 UTC 2007

Thus spake force44 at Safe-mail.net (force44 at Safe-mail.net):

> Kees,
>
> I connect to various safe-mail accounts through "secure POP" (over
> SSL, port 995) to read my mail and have never problems. Or better to say that when the tor exit node doesn't connect to safe-mail, I just try again a few minutes later and usually it is ok. My mail program (Thebat) even does it all alone, it checks email every xx minutes, as I wish.
>
> Sending mail is another story :) It is quite impossible in SMTP on 25 as in secure SMTP on 465, as most tor exit nodes block traffic to these ports. So, to send email, better is to connect to a web
> interface (in https of course), safe-mail is fine for this too.

This is interesting.. According to running
http://tor.eff.org/svn/trunk/contrib/exitlist, there should be about
20 nodes that exit to port 465.. The problem might be that these nodes
are slower overall, and tend to drop more circuits. If either of you
try setting CircuitBuildTimeout to like 10 in your .torrc, does it
help?

It would be nice if there was a way to specify an additional portlist
Tor uses to prebuild a couple extra circuits for. Circuit construction
can take a really long time and maybe this option would help people
who use apps on ports other than 80 and 443. Roger/Nick,
agree/disagree? Did I just volunteer? ;)

--
Mike Perry
Mad Computer Scientist