Ultimate solution

Michael_google gmail_Gersten keybounce at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 01:22:28 UTC 2007

It sounds to me like we need:
1. Absolutely easy to use client software that automatically acts as a
router/server
-- Needs to determine the lower (upstream) bandwidth, and not clog it
-- Needs to be able to prioritize local originating connections to
eliminate the desire to run separate client and server tor processes
-- -- This includes using as much upstream as the local origination
needs, even if it means nearly starving all "through me" traffic
-- -- This means getting flow control working inside Tor, unless I
missed something.
-- Needs to be able to work with dynamic IP transparantly
-- -- Tor currently does this if NO Address line is in the config
file, but Vidallia insists on putting one in there anyways.

2. Simple instructions to end users
-- Anonimity != privacy
-- Things like flash, etc, can break privacy and reveal who you are
-- Some sort of 'This is known to be safe, this is most likely unsafe,
this is "maybe" ' list.

3. A preconfigured set of cookies for the major known cookie tracking
sites (ads, etc), so that every Tor user looks the same.

4. Ideally a patch for Firefox. IE allows you to say "Accept 1st party
cookies, reject 3rd party cookies." Safari allows you to say "Only
accept cookies from sites I navigate to, but not from sites linked to
them (Advertisements)". Firefox doesn't have that.

5. (Privoxy already strips referrer information, so that's not leaking
your search history, etc, to third parties).

** 6 **. Since Tor will route to an exit node on the same machine as
your target, giving end-to-end transparent encryption, some sort of
push to get the major web sites to run at least a "local exit" tor
node. In particular, we need an absolutely trivial, out of the box,
"Local only, any port" tor exit config.