Warnings on the download page

Freemor freemor at yahoo.ca
Fri Mar 9 19:59:50 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-03 at 10:55 -0800, light zoo wrote:
> --- Freemor <freemor at yahoo.ca> wrote:
>

> > so my questions are:
> >
> >   1 - Can a modified actions file be made that
> > would strip all Java/javascript, flash, steaming
> > media, etc. From looking at the Privoxy
> > documentation it looks possible so far (but I'm no
> > privoxy guru)
>
> (Note: Mr. Keil is the authority on Privoxy in this
> list so he may have better information.)
>
> Privoxy doesn't filter HTTPS and IMO that makes
> Privoxy a non-starter in regards to filtering.

OH yes, makes sense that HTTPS would be untouched. Guess I should have
had another coffee before posting.

> IMO all filtering, User-Agent spoofing, etc should be
> handled by the browser (about:config is your friend)
> because the HTTP/S protocol is filtered.
>
> The 'warning' intro Mr. Perry and Mr. Dingledine wrote
> should be followed.
> http://tor.eff.org/download.html.en#Warning
>

> These are the extensions I use:
> TorButton
> CookiesCuller
> QuickJava
> NoScript
> Flashblock
> AdBlockPlus
> Filterset G. Updater
> RefControl (spoof referrer)
> http://www.stardrifter.org/refcontrol/
>
> I have my about:config edited to spoof my User-Agent

I agree and currently use either a config very similar to yours or use
Lynx/elinks for browsing with TOR. I still think that stopping as much
evil content as possible inbound has it's merit bit HTTPS does pose a
problem .. one possible solution to stop the outbound leakage might be
to (and I am certianly not suggesting this be done any time soon) make
TOR a virtual interface device. then one could just send all internet
traffic through it (oh, trust me I have some small idea of how ugly and
complicated this would be.. it'd probably mean very different source
trees for Windows/*nix/Mac) So, well just file that in the Porches and
other pipe dreams pile.

Thanks everyone for the feedback
Freemor

------

Freemor <freemor at yahoo.ca>
Freemor <freemor at rogers.com>

This e-mail has been digitally signed with GnuPG