Warnings on the download page

lists lists at kriptik.org
Fri Mar 9 17:38:05 UTC 2007

On 9 Mar 2007 03:21:05 -0600, Mike Perry wrote:

> Just tested windows media player 10 plugin, which I believe is
> installed by default on pretty much every windows box.. It ignores
> proxy settings. Great.

I found most applications on a Windows system respect the settings
configured under Internet Options (i.e., XP SP 2 under Control
Panel->Internet Options->Connections->LAN settings, or through IE7 on XP
SP2 under Tools->Internet Options->Connections->LAN settings). I have
also found that most applications on a Windows system know nothing about
Firefox's proxy settings. I am not writing this from a Windows box, but
I wonder if WM10 is the same.

Also, I tend to firewall off all connections that go to the outside
world when using Tor, except those connections by Tor itself. On
Windows, I generally use per application settings through my personal
firewall. For example, Firefox is configured to only be permitted to
connect to the local system, not the outside world, and WM10 is not
permitted to connect to anything. Not perfect by any means, but it helps
to prevent accidents.

-Andrew