Warnings on the download page

Steven Murdoch tortalk+Steven.Murdoch at cl.cam.ac.uk
Fri Mar 9 10:39:42 UTC 2007

On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 03:14:31AM -0500, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> I'm not comfortable recommending portable firefox yet, due to a problem
> that Steven Murdoch found a while ago: when firefox starts up, it hunts
> around on your hard drive to see if there are any plugins, and then it
> enables those. I think there are some ways to disable this behavior,
> but it's not disabled by default... so it's not so easy as just adding
> a link. :(

The particular feature is "plugin scanning", for which more details
can be found here, including how to disable it:
 http://kb.mozillazine.org/Plugin_scanning

I have a half-finished blog post discussing this and the problems it
caused for Torpark, so now would probably a good time to complete it.

Thanks,
Steven.

--
w: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/sjm217/