HTTP response is "Connection: close"

Got Glint tlu0de302 at sneakemail.com
Sun Jun 24 04:11:51 UTC 2007

Sometimes when I perform an HTTP request via Tor, the response is "Connection: close" rather than the expected content. This happens intermittently, and with various sites. Does anyone know what causes this problem, and whether anything can be done about it? It's been annoying me for quite a while.

I've experienced the issue with at least two clients: Opera and Wget. They both interpret the response body as a 21-byte string consisting of "Connection: close\r\n\r\n". Also, Wget says "200 No headers, assuming HTTP/0.9".

Current software versions: Tor 0.1.2.14, Privoxy 3.0.6, Windows XP SP2.

I found several mentions of this problem on the web (the first link is the most interesting):

http://archives.seul.org/or/talk/Aug-2006/msg00226.html (see caveat #2)
http://archives.seul.org/or/talk/Feb-2006/msg00160.html
http://photomatt.net/2006/09/11/new-servers/ (see comment by Quix0r)
http://framework.zend.com/issues/browse/ZF-1318 (probably misdiagnosed)