Cisco firewall filtering Tor?

Jay Goodman Tamboli jay at tamboli.cx
Sun Jun 17 01:43:05 UTC 2007

On Jun 16, 2007, at 16:15:04, Cat Okita wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jun 2007, Jay Goodman Tamboli wrote:
>> Subject: Cisco firewall filtering Tor?
>
> I'm curious - why do you think it's a Cisco firewall?

When I first connect to the network, any HTTP requests are redirected
to a login page, which used to say Cisco on it. That page has since
been customized.

>> Is it possible the firewall is looking at the :443 connections and
>> somehow telling that it's Tor rather than HTTPS?
>
> Well - the dump you posted shows that your connection is NATted - are
> you using a VPN connection of some sort?

It's an open wireless network, and I connect to it and then have to
login using a web browser. There does seem to be a NAT.

> I'm also seeing that the tcp handshake to the selected Tor router
> works - but after that, you're sending off into space, and the
> connection is eventually terminated (on your side).
>
> I presume that you're using the latest bundle for OSX?

I've tested with the latest stable and alpha bundle (the "expert"
ones) as well as a compiled version from SVN (I've updated since
then, so I don't know which it was I tested).

/jgt
--
http://tamboli.cx/
PGP Key ID: 0x7F2AC862B511029F