Cisco firewall filtering Tor?

Jay Goodman Tamboli jay at tamboli.cx
Fri Jun 15 22:02:13 UTC 2007

On 6/14/07, Mike Perry <mikeperry at fscked.org> wrote:
> Hey Jay!

Hey Mike!

> AUTHENTICATE
> SETEVENTS EXTENDED CIRC ORCONN

I'm not completely sure how to read this, but it's cleaner than the
debug log. I see various "failed" messages, like the following:

650 ORCONN kgabertgoldmine2 FAILED REASON=DONE NCIRCS=2
650 CIRC 1721 FAILED REASON=OR_CONN_CLOSED
650 CIRC 1722 FAILED REASON=TIMEOUT

It appears all the CIRC ... FAILED messages are due to OR_CONN_CLOSED
or TIMEOUT.

> Might also be a good idea to kill tor, fire up wireshark
> (www.wireshark.org), start a network capture, start tor, and let it
> try to make some circuits for a bit. Then save the capture, and post
> it and the control port info and possibly logs somewhere so we can
> look at the results.

Oddly, Wireshark examination of tcpdump shows communications in both
directions, so it appears the firewall isn't blocking connections
completely.

Even more oddly, I set my home SSH server to listen on port 443, and
that works fine. That same machine is running as a tor server, so
either the firewall is blocking tor servers only on tor ports (but
then why can I see connections in the dump?) or they're not blocking
tor and something else is wrong.

> If they are doing content-based filtering like this, it is likely they
> are also blocking directory connections too..

I don't think so. I can telnet to BostonUCompSci (128.197.11.30) port
80 and send "GET /", and I get back what looks like Tor stuff. This is
another reason I suspect that it's a Tor issue rather than the
firewall blocking outright.

For what it's worth, I tried running with ReachableAddresses *:443
from an open network earlier today, and it worked fine.

Thanks for your help, everybody!

/jgt
--
http://tamboli.cx/