initial directory bandwidth?

Michael_google gmail_Gersten keybounce at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 20:22:16 UTC 2007

On 7/27/07, Anil Gulecha <anil.verve at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I used TOR around a year back, but couldn't use it much as initial
> setting up (directory and initializations) took up around 1 mb of my
> download. Multiply that by 7 or 8 reboots per day and I lost serious
> bandwidth..
>
> What is the situation now? How much does the directory weigh (if
> present at all) and what are the average speeds one gets with TOR now.
> I used to be able to have 20 KBps.. which wasn't blazing fast but
> sufficient.
>
> Cheers
> Anil

I find that the speed ranges from 15 to 35 K bytes/sec, typically. If
I want a higher speed, I toss a couple of "new identity"'s at it until
I get above 70. I will occasionally, but only occasionally, get a
circuit that fills my 150 K bytes/sec download speed.

The current version will not even make me a directory server -- claims
that my 384 upload DSL is not fast enough.

Startup? Tor caches everything it needs now, and one big discussion
going over the list is "Should we expire all those old caches now that
we're doing some things differently?".

7 or 8 reboots a day? If I reboot every 7 or 8 days, that's a lot.