Tor takes too much RAM

Mike Perry mikeperry at fscked.org
Mon Jul 23 04:16:18 UTC 2007

Thus spake Roger Dingledine (arma at mit.edu):

> On Sun, Jul 22, 2007 at 10:35:56AM +0200, Olaf Selke wrote:
> > > Yes, my directory authorities are using way too much ram too. It appears
> > > that we introduced something bad in 0.1.2.x that wasn't present in
> > > 0.1.1.x.
> > >
> > today I noticed that according the FAQ tor needs 768 MB ram each 10 Mbps
> > bandwidth :-)
>
> No, this is not true. At least, it wasn't true for 0.1.1.x. Some kind
> soul appears to have modified the FAQ to report the current situation,
> rather than bugging anybody about the problems. :)
>
> A few months ago we had plenty of people running at 30Mbps+ using 200M
> or 300M of memory, back when 0.1.1.x was the recommended stable.
>
> You might try downgrading to 0.1.1.26 briefly, and see how it compares
> to the current situation.

I have done this, and have been running 0.1.1.26 for about a couple
weeks weeks. It appears to be leaking at about the same rate as
0.1.2.14 did.

Since this problem suddenly showed up, yet 0.1.1.26 has been out for
ages, perhaps it is a client problem? There is that issue where
clients can send too many SENDMEs and fill up server buffers.. Maybe
there is a SENDME leak?

--
Mike Perry
Mad Computer Scientist