Blocking child pornography exits

Freemor freemor at yahoo.ca
Sun Jul 22 21:25:51 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-22-07 at 13:57 -0700, Michael_google gmail_Gersten wrote:
> > Short version: If I knew how to build a version of Tor that could be
> > used only for Good and never for Evil, I surely would.  But I have no
> > idea how to do that well, and I don't think anybody else does either.
> > (There are proposed solutions to do that.  They are bad.)
>
> Ahh. When you put it that way, there is a simple solution. Remember, the
> IP specs define a "malicious" bit that all bad, evil data packets will set if
> they are standard compliant.
>
> So, as long as these evil users comply with the standards, Tor can filter
> them out. All done :-).

<humour>
Sadly Evil (users/persons/companies/etc) almost never self identify as
such. And so, would fail to set the bit because in their view it doesn't
apply. Leaving us with a situation in which only people with a
conscious, and a guilty one at that, would set the bit. It has been my
experience that most people that fall into the "would set the bit"
category are not the ones people need to worry about, but rather persons
being far to hard on themselves for human failings. so unfortunatley
filtering on the evil bit probably wouldn't help much.
</humour>

as a side note I've always thought it would be neat to packet sniff and
see if anyone is actually setting this bit. But I'm routered and thus
most of the interesting stuff never makes it to my machine.. I could
always DMZ myself I suppose but seems like a lot of work for such
trivial curiosity.

Have a pleasant day all

Freemor <freemor at yahoo.ca>
Freemor <freemor at rogers.com>

This e-mail has been digitally signed with GnuPG

See: http://gnupg.org/ for more details