is this a bandwidth problem? my IP is a TOR exit, the client works and the server doesn't

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Sun Jul 22 07:11:24 UTC 2007

On Sun, Jul 22, 2007 at 11:32:04AM +0800, Rip Rock wrote:
> So http://torcheck.xenobite.eu/ verifies that my TOR setup really is
> working, and it shows IPs and machine names that have nothing to do with my
> real IP and machine name.  That much is great.  However, when I try surfing
> to .onion URLs, I get 503 or 404 errors, along with the not-very-encouraging
> message that my request "could not be fulfilled, because the domain name
> *...
> *could not be resolved....This is often a temporary failure, so you might
> just try again."

Don't pay too much attention to privoxy's error message. It only has
one error message, no matter what went wrong. :(

> I'm using Vidalia/Privoxy/Firefox/Torbutton and I usually don't run a
> server.   And it's great for going to normal webpages but telling them some
> other IP.
>
> I tried running a server to see if that would improve matters, but possibly
> my bandwidth is too low (I'm just on a home ADSL account).
> Jul 22 11:29:12:003 [Warning] Your server (...:9001) has not managed to
> confirm that its ORPort is reachable. Please check your firewalls, ports,
> address, /etc/hosts file, etc.
> Jul 22 11:29:12:080 [Warning] Your server (...:9030) has not managed to
> confirm that its DirPort is reachable. Please check your firewalls, ports,
> address, /etc/hosts file, etc.
>
> I think the problem might be a lack of bandwidth.

No, the problem is that your ports aren't reachable.

> I don't believe I have a firewall problem.

You should rethink this. :)

> I imagine the worst-case scenario is that I'll be unable to resolve any
> .onion URLs until

Does http://6sxoyfb3h2nvok2d.onion/ load for you? You may have to try
it several times.

If not, does it fail immediately (meaning you might not have configured
your Firefox correctly -- you are using Firefox and Torbutton, right?) or
does it take a few minutes to fail (meaning everything's configured
correctly on your side, but your network is still too slow or flaky for
it to work)?

--Roger