Blocking child pornography exits

Ben Wilhelm zorba-tor at pavlovian.net
Sun Jul 22 03:13:15 UTC 2007

Scott Bennett wrote:
>      Okay, I wasn't aware of that.  How many servers do you think might have
> no uncommented ExitPolicy statements?  As I pointed out before, the sample
> torrc has "ExitPolicy reject *:*" uncommented, plus a few examples that are
> commented.  People who make no changes to the exit policy section of the
> sample torrc will run their servers as middleman servers.  So the question is,
> how many servers are running as exit servers with the hard-coded default
> exit policy in effect?

I believe you're misinterpreting the comment - that particular default
exit policy is appended in all cases unless the torrc ends with reject
*:* or accept *:* (note that the only likely reason for that is
efficiency, since it would have no effect if it was appended in those
cases.)

I seem to remember that the vast majority of servers did have that
default policy in their exit policy, but I can't find a link to a good
ol'-fashioned Tor directory server list so I can't demonstrate that
right now.

-Ben