tor and p2p

Geoffrey Goodell goodell at eecs.harvard.edu
Sat Jan 27 13:30:24 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 08:58:28PM +0100, Nils Vogels wrote:
> This makes it very unlikely that any overlay network would ever be capable,
> be it technologically or economically, to become big in p2p transports.

"Ever" is a strong word.  I agree in the context of the next few years,
but I doubt that this is the case in general:

1. Demand for P2P filesharing is not infinite.

2. The perceived marginal benefit of additional bandwidth decreases as
bandwidth increases.  Once the underlying transport is fast enough (bear
in mind that the core of the Internet is overprovisioned), the
additional cost of onion routing may become tolerable.