tor and p2p

Watson Ladd watsonbladd at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 01:29:22 UTC 2007

eweb101 wrote:
> Yes, that's it. I'm sure it's not a new idea, but the few times I've
> seen P2P discussed within Tor, the discussion centers around the amount
> of traffic exiting the network instead of doing what it would take to
> run a P2P network completely within Tor.
The key to designing this with minimal changes to Tor is to separate
concerns. Tor can handle anonymous downloads. The issue now becomes
anonymous search. We could have dedicated index nodes, or we could make
a DHT(distributed hash table). DHT is probably the better approach. So
now the problem is making a DHT on top of tor. There has been some work
in this direction before, but I don't know what happened to it.

--
They who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary
Safety, deserve neither Liberty or Safety