[mOjO at thegeekclub.net: Re: [pfSense Support] tor and traffic shaper]

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Jan 15 11:18:20 UTC 2007

----- Forwarded message from mOjO <mOjO at thegeekclub.net> -----

From: mOjO <mOjO at thegeekclub.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 03:43:21 -0600
To: support at pfsense.com
Subject: Re: [pfSense Support] tor and traffic shaper

yes i am... and quite well.

first i just ran through the wizard.  then i edited the entries for
torrents to match my ports (i use non-standard torrent ports) and then i
went over it for hours ading all the important stuff (http, pop3, imap,
yadda yadda) and tweaking all over... still my torrents were squeezing
traffic out and the sheer number of connections they open and the rate
at which this happens was killing good ACKs.  so... eventually i read on
the forums about adding a catch-all rule that drops all otherwise
unclassified traffic into the P2P category.  did that and it was a vast
improvement.  my last and final setting was to go into the queues tab
and edit the qP2PUp queue.  I set an upper limit of 512Kb (my total up
is 768).

I absolutely love it too.  I haven't touched those settings for what
seems like a year now and I never shutdown the torrents anymore for
bandwidth.  I surf the web, ssh, vpn, rdp, and even play shooters and
games which require low-latency without any slowdown.  the most i ever
have to do is make sure the ports that the game uses is in the traffic
shaper queue for games.  and believe me, we do a lot of torrents... ever
since i showed my wife that she could get japanese tv shows they don't
show here from torrents she alone pulls ~60GB a month probably.    when
i brag about pfSense this is probably one of the first things out of my
mouth.