Tor and Thunderbird: Outgoing Email Unsafe?

Michael Holstein michael.holstein at csuohio.edu
Tue Jan 2 14:54:21 UTC 2007

> ps: am i correct that if i use a webbased email account(for example
> gmail) without pop3 and I use (Torified)Firefox to acces it I CAN send
> emails out without the receiver being able to see my personal IP etc?
> I dont mind of they se my email address ofcourse as they need that to
> reply to me, just dont want them to be able to view my info.

Yes. TOR and (yahoo|hotmail|gmail|$whatever) is an anonymous way to go
about it. Just make sure you use a totally separate browser profile (eg:
start firefox with -ProfileManager) as to not cross-contaminate cookies,
etc. and do everything regarding that email account -- including signup
-- using TOR, and never access it outside of TOR, nor access anything
else with that browser profile.

~Mike.