more letters from the feds

Ben Wilhelm zorba at pavlovian.net
Thu Jan 11 13:56:22 UTC 2007

xiando wrote:
>> I think this is a valid point. I ran an exit-node for a short while at home
>> without thinking too much about it. The huge amount of traffic I was
>> attracting (even within minutes of booting up) made me shut it off for the
>> sake of personal convenience, but I don't think I will ever go back -
>
> Use bandwidth limiting?
>
> BandwidthRate 45 KB
> BandwidthBurst 95 KB
>
> This is low, but that's all I can spare on my home ADSL, and at least it
> contributes something. Limit your home node and it don't attract more than
> you can spare. Also, you can lower it temporarily (the minimum is 20 KB) and
> just -HUP tor if you need to upload a big file somewhere or something like
> that.

I use 20kb because I've got 45kb upstream, and I've got my router set up
with QOS so the Tor traffic doesn't interfere at all. (And, presumably,
so I don't interfere with it.)

I should point out that I have since run into one small issue with
hosting locally - several IRC servers blacklist Tor server IPs. One of
these servers was pulling the list off somewhere that also blacklists
entire /24s including exit servers, and was using that mode, so my home
computer was banned since it was a Tor IP. Luckily I know several
IRCops, asked around, and that server no longer does that anymore ;) but
it was a mild inconvenience.

So, life isn't perfect running a Tor server.

-Ben