Wired article on Tor

Steven Murdoch tortalk+Steven.Murdoch at cl.cam.ac.uk
Mon Jan 1 13:12:10 UTC 2007

On Sat, Dec 30, 2006 at 07:29:16AM -0500, Dan Collins wrote:
> A very interesting and unique idea, though I can't believe that the
> change due to a little heat would be detectable?

Have a look at the graphs in the paper:
 http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~sjm217/papers/ccs06hotornot.pdf

They were collected from tests on real hardware where I put in a
temperature probe. Some are from local connections and some
transatlantic, and in both cases the quality of the results were good.
Without that much analysis, differences of 1--2 C were detectable.

The source code is online, so you can also try it yourself. To get
accurate results, it does take quite a while. My tests where typically
8--12 hours:
 http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~sjm217/projects/anon/#tempcov

Thanks,
Steven.