Feb 27 03:40:25.760 [err] circuitbuild.c:2156: entry_guards_prepend_from_config: Assertion options->EntryNodes failed,; aborting.

Nick Mathewson nickm at freehaven.net
Wed Feb 28 15:51:41 UTC 2007

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 05:12:36PM +0100, Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When I see a line in my log like:
>
> Feb 27 03:40:25.760 [err] circuitbuild.c:2156:
> entry_guards_prepend_from_config: Assertion options->EntryNodes failed
> ; aborting.
>

> What went wrong and how can I fix this?

Well, it's an assertion failure.  That's always a bug.  It means that
some part of the Tor code noticed that one of its assumptions was
violated, and rather than continuing on (and probably crashing,
possibly in bad and exploitable ways), it exited immediately with the
above message.

The message in question looks like it might happen if a controller
quickly set and then cleared the EntryNode option before Tor started
picking a path for its next circuit.  I've checked in a patch that
should fix this in the next development version (0.1.2.9-beta or -rc),
and that will appear in 0.1.1.27 too if there's ever one of those. ;)

Thanks again for the bug report!

peace,
--
Nick Mathewson