Really strange interface behavior

Matt Glaves matt at glaves.org
Mon Feb 5 04:20:39 UTC 2007

Tonight I made a change to my TOR node and am perplexed as to why it is
acting in this manner. I'm not actually sure why it is even working :)

Eth0:  New TOR Interface (216.9.65.50).  This was previously a
subinterface aka eth1:1
Eth1:  Webserver/Mailserver/etc Interface - This is a separate
netblock/vlan.  Call it 216.9.100.100 for this example.

I have the following set in torrc
Address 216.9.65.50
OutboundBindAddress 216.9.65.50

Although netstat only shows TOR connections on the 216.9.65.50 address
and zero listening/open connections on 216.9.100.100 (other than the
listening web/email processes) my traffic is being split between the
interfaces.  eth0 is only the inbound TOR traffic, and eth1 is only the
outbound TOR traffic.  My node is currently doing about 4.5Mbit and I
have 4.5Mbit coming in eth0 and 4.5Mbit going out eth1.

Anyone running a similar setup or had similar wierdness?  I am running
0.1.1.26 under linux.

thanks,

matt