Running Tor on a v-server with limited number of TCP sockets

Stephan Walter stephan at walter.name
Wed Feb 21 20:05:41 UTC 2007

Hi,

I have rented a small v-server where I can spare about 400GB of
bandwidth per month for Tor. Unfortunately, the number of open TCP
sockets is limited to 128 and the operator is not willing to change
that. (Any good reason why they wouldn't?). So what I'm doing now is
running Tor as a non-exit server with "ulimit -c 130", limiting the
number of network sockets to about 100 (The other thirty are regular
files and UDP sockets).

Is this a bad thing to do? (Apart from getting lots of warning messages
in the log file?) Of course I don't want to cause any problems on the
Tor network.

Regards,
Stephan